Indian Cricket League

May 30, 2008 3 comments

Indian Cricket League

Let BCCI decide on Shoaib’s case: Shah Rukh Khan

April 14, 2008 1 comment

Kolkata Knight Riders team owner and Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan said he wants the Pakistan pace spearhead Shoaib Akhtar to play in Indian Premier League (IPL). He reiterated his desire for Shoaib’s presence in his team in a press conference at his residence.

Shah Rukh also said that it’s now up to BCCI to take a decision whether they want the Paksitani bolwer to play in cash-rich Indian Premier League or not.

Controversial fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar’s chances of playing in the lucrative Indian Premier League seemed to be receding with the tribunal to hear his appeal against five-year ban not likely to decide on the matter soon.

Given the busy schedule of the chairman of the appellate tribunal Aftab Farrukh, retired judge of Lahore High Court and now a practicing barrister, it is unlikely that the case will be decided in a hurry.

The IPL starts on April 18 and organisers have said Akhtar, who was to play for Kolkata Knight Riders, would not be eligible to play in the Twenty20 tourney until the Pakistan board removes the ban imposed on him on disciplinary grounds.

“I don’t think we are going to have a situation where the appellate tribunal will reach a decision after one or two sittings and given the busy schedules of the chairman and Salman Taseer the hearings could drag on beyond a month,” a PCB official told.

The tribunal, which had former Test player Haseeb Ahsan and former federal minister Salman Taseer as other members, was set up last week and has a minimum of seven and maximum of 30 days to reach a decision on Akhtar’s appeal.

Akhtar was handed the five-year ban for breach of the players Code of Conduct, having publicly criticised various board policies after he was overlooked for a central contract in January.

Meanwhile, PCB chairman Nasim Ashraf, Disciplinary Committee chairman Muneer Hafeez and Akhtar will appear before the Senate Standing Committee on Sports and Culture on April 14 for a hearing called to look into cricket matters and the events leading up to the ban imposed on Akhtar.

Categories: Cricket News, IPL News

IPL relaxes media restrictions

April 10, 2008 Leave a comment

The standoff between the Indian Premier League and the media over controversial guidelines to cover the inaugural tournament looks set to ease as the IPL governing body has issued relaxed guidelines for media to cover the Twenty20 extravaganza.

The IPL has toned down some of its earlier restrictions, especially benefiting the print media and their respective websites. However, the websites having no print association would not be able to cover the matches from the ground. The IPL ban on news agencies supplying images to the websites stays. The fresh guidelines have been issued after a meeting with media representatives and IPL governing body members on Tuesday.

The new guidelines, which have been reduced to two pages, allowed website reporters to the venue a day before the match and for post match press conferences only. No online use or publication or syndication of any photograph clicked by accredited photographers is allowed except for the website of the publication.

The media gallery of a website can have up to any six pictures per match beyond whatever else is carried in the newspaper’s various editions.

The rules however warned the photographers for supplying pictures to any third party, including web portals and syndicates.

Earlier, IPL chairman and Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) vice-president Lalit Modi agreed to relax rules to benefit the print media after discussing the matter with the Sports Journalists’ Federation of India (SJFI) and sports editors of mainline dailies on Monday.

Last week, the IPL had announced the media guidelines for accreditation, which a large section of the media houses found unacceptable.

The SJFI, on behalf of sports journalists and photographers, requested the BCCI President Sharad Pawar to resolve the contentious clauses.

The contentious norms arose from IPL’s terms and conditions, in which BCCI attempted to appropriate intellectual property rights on photographs shot by media organizations. IPL had banned websites from the event and demanded that agencies and print media houses upload, at their own cost, the pictures shot by them on IPL’s website for unrestricted use. Media organizations were irked by these guidelines, which amounted to restricting the use of images in any other publication even if it belonged to the same media house.

That BCCI was under some pressure was evident – the link to the media guidelines on the official tournament’s website was deactivated soon after the controversy broke.

Categories: Cricket News, IPL News

Munaf, Powar in squad for third Test

April 6, 2008 Leave a comment

Pacer Munaf Patel has been included in the Indian team for the third and final Test against South Africa to be played in Kanpur from April 11.

Patel replaced RP Singh in the squad announced in Ahmedabad on Sunday.

Anil Kumble and Ishant Sharma, who are nursing injuries, will undergo a fitness test on April 10 before the final 14 is selected for the match.

Off-spinner Ramesh Powar has been drafted in as cover for Kumble.

South Africa lead the three-Test series 1-0 after beating India by an innings and 90 runs in the second Test in Ahmedabad.

Squad: Anil Kumble (captain), Virender Sehwag, Wasim Jaffer, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman, MS Dhoni, Harbhajan Singh, S Sreesanth, Irfan Pathan, Yuvraj Singh, Piyush Chawla, Mohammad Kaif, Ishant Sharma, Munaf Patel, Ramesh Powar.

Categories: Interview

Rogers to open as Australia pursues record-breaking 17th test win

January 17, 2008 3 comments

PERTH – After days of waiting and batting, and waiting and batting, Chris Rogers finally got the handshake he had been craving from Australian cricket coach Tim Nielsen.

On standby since Sunday to replace Matthew Hayden in case the burly Queenslander failed to recover from a hamstring injury, Rogers has trained, and batted in the nets and for his club without any clue whether he would be playing or not.

But after Hayden’s run of 86 successive test appearances was officially ended in a pitchside meeting with Nielsen, skipper Ricky Ponting and trainer Alex Kountouris, Rogers was told he would be making a test debut on home soil, against India at the WACA ground today. Ponting confirmed that Hayden – who has not missed a test since 2000 – had not sufficiently overcome soreness in his right hamstring and that he was too great a risk to take into the match, where Australia chase a record 17th successive win.

“I am really excited at the moment, and hope I do the baggy green proud,” Rogers said.

“You couldn’t script it better to play in front of your home crowd, and that is something you will always remember. I probably thought maybe I had missed the boat, but also I thought there could be an opportunity.

“You never want to wish an injury on anyone, but there is always a chance that might happen. It is unlucky for Matt and I feel for him, but it is a great opportunity for me.”

A miserable start to the season saw Rogers miss out to Phil Jaques as the replacement for Justin Langer, in part because of an appendix operation which kept him out of action at a crucial time.

A mystery stomach virus then curtailed his action, but since returning, a Pura Cup haul of over 300 runs at an average of over 40 has again proved his credentials.

However, Ponting said it was an innings Rogers played against the Australians for county side Leicestershire, during the Ashes Tour of England in 2005, that had stuck in his mind.

“I was very impressed with what I saw that day, and this is his opportunity, there’s no doubt about that,” Ponting said.

During that knock, Hayden told Rogers he should consider getting out to aid the side. But yesterday Hayden said he was delighted for Rogers, despite his personal disappointment at missing the chance to complete a world record 17 test wins in a row.
“Obviously I am very disappointed missing this test match – it is going to be a really special,” Hayden said

Quickie Shaun Tait will come into the side, as Australia opted for an all-pace attack for the first time since 1992. Brad Hogg is the 12th man.

Categories: Cricket News

Show courage against Aussie pacers, Kirsten advises Indians

January 14, 2008 1 comment

India’s coach-designate Gary Kirsten has prepared a document for the team to counter the bouncy track at the WACA where the conditions will be “mentally more demanding” for the batsmen.

“It takes a lot of courage to get into position on bouncy wicket to be successful. More than the technical it’s the mental side and I am sure Indian batsmen are aware of it,” said Kirsten as he faced his first press conference in India colours.

The former South African opener revealed that he has prepared a document for the Indian team where he has put down his experience of travelling to this part of the world.

“I have put together a document on touring Australia…It is how to go about doing it. There is a definite style of playing technically on bouncy wickets.

“At WACA, it’s a very tough cricketing environment. There is never an easy game and it’s mentally very demanding. But the Australians also say it’s the best place to bat. One needs to brace the challenge and give everything you have got.

“I guess it’s a case of looking at the glass that is half full and not half vacant,” he said. Kirsten believed that more than any other nation, Australia tests the character of a cricketer to the fullest.

“It’s a mental battle. When you come to Australia you could be sure they would leave no stone unturned. It tests you as a person, yes you got to have skills but it you can go by skill only up to a point,” Kirsten said. “You need to have a strong character. In Australia, you are fully examined.”

From what he has seen in a brief interaction with the Indian team, the visitors want to put the controversy of recent days behind and get on with the game.

“They are two cricket-mad countries, there is a lot of emotion flying around, lot of intensity. Whatever has happened in recent days has been sad. “The game has changed so much in recent years. It’s all about performance, all about winning and sometimes players step outside the line. “Sometimes under pressure you can make wrong choices. However, it is brave to stand up and accept it. At the end of the day it’s the players who can sort this issue out. They are the custodians of the game which is bigger than team, individuals.”

On India’s choice of batsmen for the openers’ slots, Kirsten said Virender Sehwag should open the innings while Rahul Dravid should go back to his reputed middle order position.

“I do feel there are specialist positions…Sehwag has just hit a big hundred and has the respect of the Australians. Rahul Dravid on the other hand has been hugely successful as a middle order batsman,” Kirsten said.

Categories: Cricket News

Ponting admits to making mistakes in Sydney Test

January 14, 2008 Leave a comment

The Australian team made a couple of mistakes on the field in the controversial second Test against India, Australia captain Ricky Ponting has admitted.

The fallout from the Test, which Australia won by 122 runs, included India captain Anil Kumble accusing the Australians of not playing within the spirit of the game, while Ponting faced calls for his sacking.

The Australian team have received support from numerous other international players for their hard-nosed attitude to the game, though Ponting said the team had examined aspects of their behaviour and reaffirmed their pledge to the spirit of cricket.

However Ponting, writing in his column in Monday’s Australian newspaper, said there had been two incidents on the field that his side could have handled better.

“I know when I was given out in the first innings in Sydney I should have left straight away instead of hanging around for a few seconds, and I know I should not have lobbed my bat into the dressing room,” Ponting wrote.

“Michael Clarke also knows that he should have gone straight away too, after cutting the ball to first slip.

“He knows he did the wrong thing but at the time he was just shocked at how he had got out first ball.

“I believe there are no glaring issues we need to address, but when they are all added together in the heat of such a tense and dramatic final day, they caused a reaction, so we need to tighten up on how we play.

“We are very keen to ensure we get the balance of how we play the game right so we can focus clearly on another very big match coming up.”

Ponting said he was disappointed the result in Sydney, where Clarke took three wickets in the penultimate over to snatch an improbable victory, had since been overshadowed by the fall out.

Afterwards, India spinner Harbhajan Singh was banned for three matches for a racist remark, umpire Steve Bucknor was sacked from standing in the third Test and the Indian Cricket Board threatened to abandon the tour.

The third Test begins on Wednesday in Perth. Australia have a 2-0 lead after winning the first Test in Melbourne by 337 runs and the match in Sydney by 122 runs.

Categories: Cricket News