BCCI may ban Zee for 10 years
NEW DELHI: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) will consider a proposal on Friday to ban Subhah Chandra-promoted Zee from bidding for any of its contracts on account of the latter’s alleged default on a telecast deal.
The board, which will have its annual general meeting, is likely to take up the issue and ban the network for 10 years from considering the Board’s any future contract, highly placed sources said.
Zee had earlier this year pulled out of a $219 million deal with BCCI for telecasting matches played in neutral venues following breakdown of price negotiations as the private channel was forced to share feeds with national broadcaster Doordarshan.
It was supposed telecast India’s matches played in neutral venues form 2006 to 2011.
When contacted Zee officials declined to comment.
Relationship between the two had deteriorated in the recent past to such an extent that Zee had floated its own Twenty 20 Indian Cricket League to rival BCCI and even managing to attract domestic and former international players to play in it.
BCCI on the other hand hit back by announcing that player associated with ICL would be banned for life and not considered to play for India ever again. It also floated its own Indian Premier League.
Tomorrow’s AGM of BCCI will also take up naming of Shashank Manohar, its vice-president, as its next president. He will take over from incumbent president Sharad Pawar in 2008.
The sources said usually the AGMs last for two days but this time around since there are no contentious issues it is will be over in a day.